Saturday, March 28, 2009

dust settles

In my last post I showed photos of the house, and the photo of the back shows the exterior stair, although it is hidden by the vine. The other day this iguana was on the stair outside my back door. Seemed quite friendly, my presence did not seem to spook him/her. Their tails are as long as their torsos, so this one was about 2 feet long.

As I think I have mentioned before, the last 23 miles to Placencia is a dirt road, but after years of saying they would do it, the government is finally paving it. That means they are rebuilding it, with a series of mysterious levels of different types and mixes of gravel, before they finally put down liquid tar and a final coating of gravel. Different section are at different levels, and there doesn't seem to be a logical sequence to them. These mixes of gravel have a lot of fine materials in them, and in spite of the trucks that water the road, great clouds of dust, more than ever before, rise from the road with every passing vehicle. Although we are quite a distance from the road, the prevailing wind carries rhe dust to us, where it settles over everthing. I keep my computer closed when not in use, a cover on my printer, and a cover on my stereo equipment.

Today, Saturday, the power was out for about 8 hours through the heat of the day, I suspect because they had to reset some poles. I've lazed around, practiced my piano, finished one book and started another, and generally tried to stay cool by finding the breeze in the shadows.

It will be WONDERFUL when they finish paving the road!

2 comments:

Robert Moldaver said...

Congratulations Carl! I'm glad you are in your new home and getting settled. Looking forward to reading about your surroundings and explorations.

Best wishes!

Robert Moldaver

floydmonet said...

Carl- I keep forgetting that you arrived the 22nd and today is the 30th. How was the first week after driving so far with the boat? Is the boat in the lagoon yet? Are you fast acclimatizing- I imagine with the conditions you describe for paving, it must be rough to be there while it is going on. Any idea when they expect to complete the 23 mile stretch? And how is you body doing after being in a truck seat for so so long? Have you been swimming in the ocean yet?
Mikki is watching Castle/Medium flipping back and forth. I watched "24" tonight around helping Mikki make up our bed with new sheets and doing the dinner dishes. We have a fire going tonight in the gas stove to take the chill off. Time to sign off- Love to you and Bradley and Rilda and the kids! Floydmonet