Saturday, March 7, 2009

Day 10 - Sulphur (really!), Louisiana

Left Mobile at about 9 AM this morning after reversing the tires on the trailer so they would wear evenly. Because of the weight, they toe in slightly at the top, meaning they wear more on the inside of the tread. Reducing the pressure has not made a great deal of difference, so I may inflate them some more.
After crossing the border into Mississippi, I left I-10 to follow US 90 that is double lane and runs parallel to the interstate. On the map it looks like it runs along the water, so I thought I might see the results of the post Katrina efforts. Although a 55 mph road for part of the way, it was nothing but commercial development, with no water in sight. On top of that the road was rough. I got back on I-10, and then I-12 which took me through Baton Rouge instead of dropping down to New Orleans.
The road is straight and near level. Since hitting the coastal plain in Alabama, my GPS has been registering my elevation between -8' and 45' below and above sea level (except for bridges). The photo above was taken of a low field, with storm clouds in the north, when I had pulled off the highway briefly. The road passed through lowlands, rice fields with water, and in one section was a 30 mile bridge above wetlands.
I was sort of expecting to get to Texas today, but did not notice that the scale of the Louisiana map in my highway map book was larger than the Alabama maps. By 6:30 I was passing though Lake Charles, which has a name that sounds nice, but is in fact a refinery city. I pulled off in the city of Sulphur, because there were signs for multiple motels. I like to call it quits relatively early (for me) because I want to have dinner at a local restaurant if possible, instead of a chain. I've been starting fairly leisurely in the mornings because I'm not feeling pressure, internally or externally, to be anywhere at a particular time. It makes the drive more pleasant.
2000 miles done, 500 to go to the Mexican border!

1 comment:

floydmonet said...

Carl- Thanks for the email! I am enjoying thoroughly following your trip and hearing a little review each day. By now you are seasoned in the towing/trailer business. Your sailboat has an amazing land based journey to remember (sailing over land) that started where you purchased it. I wondered about the care you must take to see ahead and visualize if there is enough space to pull off and be able to get back on, whether at a rest area with the big trucks, or at a gas station or at a motel or a local restaurant.

I liked your last comment, your freedom from pressure, a new attribute of your new life. You have slowed down, relaxed into the ride (perhaps the longest of your life!)No need to hurry because there is no deadline, no timeclock, "People get ready- There's a train a coming- No need to hurry- You just get on board"

Mikki is sitting behind me beer burping and playing her internet games while I am a little distant, maybe peeking my head up out of the boat to see what you are seeing.

Today was another warm, bright day (it is now 7:15 and we almost ready to order a pizza from Seano's) with lots more melting. The city trucks and plows have been out again removing snow buildup along the narrowed roadways. I signed more ptgs in the studio today after taking Mom to Pat's Cafe for breakfast. The drive home was interrupted by a 5K race from Brian Boru to Brian Boru via the railroad tracks below the prom and then up from the dock to the prom and back down passing right in front of the Portland House. I think my mother was dumbfounded. We couldn't go anywhere (we were at the end of Vesper St) with hundreds of runners going past. After 10 minutes or so, we parked and I was able to hurry Mom across the street and walk her over to the Portland House.

It's beginning to sink in that you are really gone. Last night we had Patti over for dinner and Chinese Checkers (she looked and acted quite confident but lost both games). She was talking about selling her house and scaling down her life somehow. Big changes.

Today stands in contrast to yesterday- I didn't chip ice, didn't do laundry, didn't exercise-mostly thought about the upcoming show at Lawrenceville in May and all I have to do to prepare my paintings. Just before I opened a beer, we got a call from Al Howlett, a new friend and member of the Friends of Baxter State Park. He wanted to tell us about what to bring to Millinocket Lake on the 19th, from clothes to outdoor gear to food, and what the accomodations at Twin Pines Camps would be like. Mikki and I are going up and staying 3 nights. There will be 12 people staying at the Camps, and as many as 8 others staying in Millinocket or just daytripping with us on our outings. First night we are on our own for dinner;second we go out to the real fancy "Riverdrivers" restaurant near Millinocket, and Sat eve is a big blowout potluck with fun activities like storytelling, charades, readings, and song. We are psyched.

I was looking at both my old map of Texas today and my old map of Mexico. Wondered where you will drop down off I-10 and take 59 to 77 on to Brownsville. Also noticed very different road patterns in Mexico and wondered if you will stay on the coast road-Rt 180. Is that a toll road?

Miss you. You are not out of mind, not one bit- but you are past where I have driven to, even on my many cross country trips to school at Santa Barbara. Must be amazing. Patti said you were shipping your winter jacket back home! Does your truck have air conditioning? Yes- It's called my open windows! LOve you- Floyd monet