Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day 9 - Layover in Marietta


I lead this post with a photo of Tony's enterprises in Bull Gap, TN. He probably sold the rights to the Cracker Barrell restaurant chain to have their giant sign looming over his place(s).


Slept in, then did research to find another set of tires for the trailer. I'm concerned about the level of wear, resulting in part from the trailer being a bit overloaded, I believe. Handles ok, but I want to get through Mexico without trying to find trailer tires. Found a trailer company that had what I need, and sister Marian took me there to get them. The person who sold them to me was Mexican, and I asked him about driving in Mexico. He had been a truck driver, strongly recommended using toll roads. After lunch and a few errands, we went back, this time with map in hand, and I talked with him further about specific routes. He was very helpful, warned me about very steep grades on some routes. Told me where to expect road blocks, and when I asked about the need to pay, he said not to do it. I need to get busy on my Spanish via Rosetta Stone, because he said folks will try to take advantage of me if I can't communicate with them.

Tomorrow I head for Camden, Alabama. That's where my two pallets will arrive tomorrow, so we can settle for the cost of getting them to Belize, as well as talk about getting containers of ICF materials and tennis court materials shipped there.

Up to this point, this journey has been mostly through known territory, stopping where I know people, or in between. I'm about half way through the US portion of the trip. Tomorrow I set out into unfamiliar lands, with the next known person about 2500 miles away. It's a bit scary, and there is still a magnet pulling me back to Maine, to the familiar and safe. However, I will keep my wits about me, and keep on keepin on....

1 comment:

floydmonet said...

Hi Carl- Sounds like another busy day, esp the stretch from 85 over to Camden from Greenville? Hope the timing works out on the palettes'arrival. Also sounds like the Mexican tire salesman may have given some good tips. I am sure glad you are making the effort to continue to blog. I am enjoying following it on my (way out of date) Rand McNally. Makes me want to get a new set of US maps. Not sure which one is the best to buy or where to get it cheapest.
Are you heading to Mobile? Today you will be west of where we turned off onto 231 from Montgomery and then onto 77 south to Panama City on our Xmas trip to St George Island.
Today is first Fri art walk- Mikki is off with Patti at the Dress for Success business meeting all morning. We are going on the art walk tonight with Nan Sawyer and Bruce and Jan Moore, meeting at the PMA at 5:30. I went to an opening last night of 12 photographers at the WM Home building on Rt 1 near the Marong dealership. You would have been with me. I finally began to paint in the studio yesterday and am preparing to sign many new paintings for the Lawrenceville show. The weather here is a little milder and gray (no sun). Miss you.
Am reading Thoreau's accounts of trips to Maine. Have been continuing to soak my feet in hot water with shredded cabbage to fight blisters on toes and other cold symptoms from chilblains before trip to Millinocket Lake on the 19th with Mikki and 10 other people from the Friends of Baxter State Park.
I liked what you said about moving into unknown territory. I was wondering if deflating the tires has helped with the wear problem. Sorry I am rambling. Gotta run- Floydmonet