Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day 7 - Bull Gap, Tennessee

Drove about 475 miles today, down the Shenandoah Valley on I81. After bare ground and open water on farm ponds in Pennsylvania, was surprised at the snow cover and iced over ponds through most of Virginia. Probably due to the storm that passed through the other day. Fortunately there was little wind, and traffic wasn't bad. One semi blew his horn as he passed me - I wondered if the driver saw "Belize" on the stern of the boat and indentified with it...

So far have seen two mammoth WalMart warehouses on this journey, they are huge, with hundreds of trailers parked outside and backed up to the loading doors.

Every time I stop for a break I check the trailer, and today noticed that I was getting a lot of wear on the inside edge of the tires. Really don't want a blowout, even at my slow speed of 55 mph, so pulled off at 6PM at a Best Western just north of Knoxville in Bull Gap. Not much here: Taco Bell, MacDonalds, a DQ, 2 gas stations, and Tony's Bar-B-Que, Wrecker Service, Tire Service and Auto Sales. Tony is a busy man. The address is Speedway Drive, so that might explain the cluster of services that appears to be in the middle of nowhere, as well as the occupants of the restaurant.

When I replaced the axle back in Mass, I bought a second rim and tire, so when I got in I changed both tires. Tomorrow I'll see if Tony can reverse the tires on the rims I just removed, so I get more even wear on them. I've gone 1000 of the 2500 miles in the US, and will have 1300 in Mexico, so I also plan to get another pair of tires when I get to Marietta. I hope that will give me good rubber through to Belize.

It is really beginning to dawn on me how dramatic this change is, and I must admit to pangs of regret about leaving behind my friends and Portland. Of course, when I hear about the 12 inches of snow and 5 degree temps, I feel less regret....

The counter I've added to this page tells me that I have several folks following this adventure, and I will welcome your comments or questions!

2 comments:

Judith Wood said...

what an adventure, Carl. Hope you enjoy your diversion for a visit with Marian and Keith.
We understand you are carrying a big load down into Mexico. I hope you realize there is a big trade carrying guns into Mexico from the USA. The customs will probably want you to take everything out so they can make sure there are no guns packed in there! From what we read, Mexico may have a horrible civil war within the next decade, as the drug runners are getting much more powerful. And don't forget about buying Mexican insurance. I hope you will print out your blog diary, and keep it. What an adventure! We are following this.

floydmonet said...

Carl- You mentioned Dick Funkhouser and the har-tru tennis courts- I am sure I have mentioned to you that my Dad was at Dartmouth College with either Dick or his father. Our tennis court in Water Mill NY was one of the first har-tru clay courts in the area and was put in in the late 50's. Mr Funkhouser one year invited Dad and me and brother Carl to join him in his private box at Forest Hills for the US Open. That year I saw Dennis Ralston, Rod Laver, Fred Stolle, Roy Emerson and others. Somehow I remember telling you this but maybe it didn't register. The Funkhouser who was at Dartmouth in the late 30's early 40's was one of Dad's best buddies as Dad was the captain of the Dartmouth Tennis Team.
Because of the large snowfall on Mon, the planning room meeting with the DCNGarden group was canceled. That morning I had been reviewing the group's written proposal and helping with edits. Now we have a dose of very cold temps and some bright sunny days. However, our glassed in back porch yesterday got up to 80 degrees and at this writing it is at 70!
It sounds like you are making steady progress and trying to pace yourself- I noticed you didn't mention how many additional miles the Belize segment entails. And I do agree with the concerns that Judith expressed in her post.
I also noticed for the first time that you are feeling both the physical and emotional distance as you take yourself away from us and your past to a new life. Tell us as best you can what the transition is like. I still think of you as nearby tho you are south of Tennessee. Hell, we played Canasta Sat night and now we're blogging the days and hours by in search of a new relationship. All I can say is- thank god for the internet!! Mikki is listening in to your daily entries as I read them to you and asked me to send you a hug. LOve you- Floydmonet