Saturday, March 14, 2009

Day 17- ' Mexico' day 1

The most amazing thing happened. After a frustrating morning waiting for the broker, and then waiting for the paperwork to be right and god knows what else, since no one spoke fluent English besides myself, they finally rushed me off to the border entrance I was to use. I learned later that they rushed me there without the correct paperwork because the US was going to close the exit I was to use at noon. I{ll write more about the details of that experience, complete with photos, later. What is amazing is that at one of the final stops on the Mexican side, a young fellow driving a big pickup with two large containeers of a chemical in the back, and hauling a trailer with a hay baler and more on the back, came up to me and asked me if I was from Belize. He had seen the Placencia, Belize on the back of my boat. HIs driving situation is nearly the same as mine. Turns out he is from the Mennonite community in Blue Creek, Belize, and is hauling that stuff back. He has done this run a number of times, and didnt mind at all if I followed him. And he speaks Spanish. And he knows where the speed bumps are. And he knows the secure hotels-motels. And the decent food. So Im following him, we are splitting the cost of the room, and I,m learning all about his community. Such good fortune. I type this on a computer in the hotel lobby, so must be brief. I got up at 630 AM, David slept 2 hours last night. So we called it quits early , I had Fajitas con Pollo for dinner, and well get an early start in the morning. I feel blessed.

5 comments:

Judith Wood said...

So GLAD you've found someone from Belize who knows the right roads to get there with a trailer heavily loaded. God must have had his hand on you. Goodness knows, we have been praying!!!!!!
Carl, if you have a chance, take a look at our library's reference blog. I post some of the good web addresses at www.tularecountylibrary.org
Sis

alana said...

Que Suerte! Que les vayan bien! xoxo.Alana/Georgia/Jess

floydmonet said...

Hi Carl- What good fortune. You may end up with a new friend for life! Now you will have to tell him all about us and show him your blog. The way you describe the sequence almost reads like a movie script- with the clock ticking and not a second to lose. I wrote you a long comment yesterday, but for some reason I was unable to post it. Anyway, I'll try again. Have gotten very busy with many things happening at once. Lots of love. Truly that's the best news!! Floydmonet

Val B said...

Great good fortune in finding a travel companion! You deserve it after all the frustrations you have encountered.

May you not need to repack the truck again!

Godspeed.

Val

floydmonet said...

The best news of all from Patti today- You have crossed into Belize!!!!!!!! Hurray. Remember to slow down when you hit the dirt road. Hell- you may be there by now. Patti figured 5 hours to Placentia from the border. The million dollar question. Did you go to Blue Creek to visit the Mennonite community before heading south? Keep us posted. I am so thrilled that you are safely across Mexico! Love you- Floydmonet