Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day 5 - Hagerstown, MD

Got up this morning expecting to see snow, but fortunately the snow was a weather channel hype, and it was just overcast. However, I knew from alternate sources that there was snow in the south, so a headed out with the expectation I would run into it at some point. As it turned out, I had sunny skies for part of the way, and the driving was easy. My goal was to get through Pennsylvania on Sunday to avoid the heavy truck and rush hour traffic in the Scranton-Allentown -Harrisburg-Carlisle corridor. By the time I reached Hagerstown it was 4 PM, I was tired, and decided to stop for the night and have the time to read the Sunday NY Times. Tried to reach Dick Funkhouser, who owns a company I represented for 10+ years, but just got his voice mail.



I had been advised by the garage that installed the new axle to check the u-bolts with a 3/4" wrench. Did not happen to have that size, so bought one at Sears. They're good, and so far the truck has been running well and trailer has towed easily. I'm running at 55 on flats and downhill, and slower when climbing, so I think so far I've only passed 5 or 6 vehicles.



Forecast is for blustery winds tomorrow, not good when pulling a trailer, so I'll

Must say that I miss having a pet...

2 comments:

floydmonet said...

Was today a big driving day? 3/2? You dodged a bullet on this snowstorm. I have been shoveling off and on all day, now quitting at 5pm with a city wide ban starting at 6.We have at least 12" of the most lovely light snow.I am severely pooped. Mikki's woodies class at O'Donals was called off as was the scheduled meeting at 4 at city hall of interested parties to discuss the Deering Center Community Garden proposal. I am going to get my Rand Mcnally maps of the US out of the sidekick so I can try and follow your progress. Thanks for continuing to stay in touch. Floydmonet

floydmonet said...

Carl- If you want to be diverted with a terrific lecture- Google Chris Hedges Talk at Bowdoin College, then go to 5th site down- Speaking in Maine and open. Scroll down to Chris Heges and and click listen- an 80 minute lecture on his life and a terrific q & a afterwards. Where are you as of Mon eve? Is it any warmer outside? How's the oil temp gauge? Floyd