Friday, March 13, 2009

Brownsville - Day 17

I know many of my friends who are following this story are concerned about my safety in Mexico, and even I am slightly concerned. However, I read the local paper here every day, and if Americans were being assaulted in Mexico, I'm sure it would be well publicized. Today's Brownsville Herald carried an AP story I'll quote in part:
"Washington - The Homeland Security Deparment's attache to Mexico says the violence in Mexico is not as dangerous to tourists as has been portrayed. Speaking to a House Subcommittee on Thursday, Alonzo Pena said the violence is in isolated areas of the country and only affects the people involved in criminal activity. He said the violence is not affecting U.S. citizens visiting Mexico...In February, the State Department advised travelers to avoid areas of prostitution and drug dealing in Mexico."
I suspect the State Department would not advise travelers to visit such areas in any country!

What seems to be going on is that it has become harder for the drug cartels to get drugs into the U.S., demand is down in the U.S. but up in Europe, but the Columbian cartels are working through the mafia and not the Mexicans in that market. So the Mexican cartels are fighting with each other for the shrinking market, and with the increased presence of the Army.

Sometimes it is useful to look for the money - in this case, if politicians make noise about an issue, perhaps more money will flow to an area to fix it. The local politicians here don't see a need for it.

I haven't posted any pictures for a few days, but there really isn't much to see here in the sprawling community. I had expected a Texas version of Portland, but the landscvape is dominated by malls of various sizes and types and chain stores of every type. Here is a photo taken from my door at the Best Western, looking across the parking lot with my truck in the foreground and the boat in the back. Every night there are a few vehicles pulling trailers that park along that central barrier.

The main highway into Brownsville is state Rt 77 and 83. As it comes into the heart of the city it is elevated to cross over major cross streets, and then drops down in between them for exits and entrances. There are one way frontage roads on each side that serve the business the line them. The elevated sections have some graphics in relief that make them more interesting than they might otherwise be. Here's a photo taken from the entrance of the motel, and a closeup.














Tomorrow is the big day. Not sure if I'll have internet service where I stop for the night, but will try to take some photos and will post

1 comment:

Robert Moldaver said...

Dear Carl,
I just caught up with your postings today. It was great to read/scan your ups and downs from my comfortable location.

I am delighted that your connections have worked out in brownsville and that your info and traversing Mexico is solid now. Very interesting.

I am daydreaming about snorkling and scuba diving in the beautiful waters off Belize thanks to your trip. Keep up the great work and as they say in French - Bon courage!

Take care and best wishes,
Robert Moldaver and family