Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Day 14 - Brownsville and discouraged

Got in yesterday and tried to track down the customs broker recommended by my Belize customs connection. Not listed, so e-mailed him for more info, not realizing it was a holiday in Belize on Monday. Received e-mail this AM that he had no further info, and to work with any local broker here. Received suggestion from motel desk clerk for someone who does it regularly for folks who stay here. Called him, got his voice mail, and finally when he came back to motel at 3 PM or so, he said he only handled folks taking things into Mexico, not through it. In meanwhile, truck has been in shop all day having the AC fixed at cost of $700. Made phone call to a transmigrante broker who told me I could only take 2 suitcases, no toys, no tools, etc etc, and that I had to have someone ride with me through Mexico @ $600. Went to the web and found some sites I had not found several months ago, including the site of the US Consulate across the border in Matamoros. Their site said no textiles, used tires, tvs, stereos, etc, etc, (including many things I have with me) but also said it changes from time to time and suggested calling. I did, and then had to wait for a call back from an "official". Their site also said not to trust rogue brokers. Official called back eventually and gave me the name and phone of another broker that she said was reliable. I called, three hours ago, and am still waiting for a callback, it's now 8 PM.
I may end up having to drive back to Alabama to set up another pallet to ship with the first two. What I'll have to do depends on my conversation with the broker. I have to get the broker thing going because it takes the US officials 3 days to figure out I haven't stolen my truck, and he/she handles that.
All of this may be God's way of preparing me for life in Central America, perhaps I'll be used to it by the time I get to Belize with my "stuff", but right now, I'm not, and I'm not happy.

No comments: