Thursday, March 19, 2009

Day 23 - from Placencia, Belize!

Whew! Arrived last night at 8 PM! Much to write about the adventure of driving the length of Mexico. That country is not at all what the US media presents it as - it is not like Iraq! My Mennonite friend, David, was of invaluable assistance to me getting through Mexico, and fortunately, I was of assistance to him. He is one of 17 kids in his family, has 8 brothers and 8 sisters. Now 32, he started working at age 14, is extremely resourceful, and you could not meet a nicer person.

I write this sitting at a desk in Bradley's office. For those reading this that don't know the name, Bradley is a step-son who has been in Belize for 15 or so years, and is involved in property management, development and sales. Although we haven't talked details yet, I will probably be doing bookkeeping for him and who knows what else.

Last night I went up on the roof to view the millions of stars visible in the clear night sky. Then to bed on top of the bed, the ceiling fans creating a cooling breeze. Woke first at 4:30 to the dogs barking in the nearby village, and then at 6:00 to the sounds of the world waking up and getting started. I will have to adjust my sleeping schedule to this new reality! Still, better than the night spent sleeping in the cab of my truck on the side of the freeway in Mexico!

There is much to write about the adventure following Brownsville, and what I propose to do is create postings for each day of the trip, accompanied by general observations about various aspects of the country, and photos. I would really like to go back, without the boat in tow, with a working knowledge of Spanish, and with my camera. Someday I will.

That's it for this posting, thank you all for your prayers and best wishes. And remember, to win an all expense paid trip to Belize, enter the raffle at http://www.rotaryclubofplacencia.org/. If you win, you won't regret it, and if you lose, you will support some very worthy efforts.

More postings to come....

3 comments:

mattmc13 said...

Way to Go! I'm very happy you made it safely and I'm enjoying the blog.

You are THEEEE Man!

Val B said...

So glad you arrived safe and sound. Looking forward to learning more about you trip and about what ever path you take in Plancencia.

Zabeth69 said...

How nice that the night sounds are peaceful and non-speed-lump related. I remember the first nights I was in Managua; when the city sounds quieted down, all you heard was periodic watch-dogs barking to other dogs...sort of a 'pass-it-on, everything seems all right.'

The other sound in Managua was the door factory at the base of the hill (next door) that made doors 6 days a week from 5 am (or so) until late in the evening. But that's another story.