Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day 4 - Just east of Scranton, PA

When I woke early this morning it was with visions of getting an early start, but, consistent with this entire enterprise, that was not to be. After letting the dog out twice in the night, I finally got up at about 8. Shortly later I discovered that the shirt I was wearing yesterday had a fresh blood stain from one of the minor scrapes and cuts I've been accumulating with my dry skin. So, having accumulated a little laundry. I started that process. Then had to deal with the leaking plastic bucket of gesso. (Gesso is what you put on canvas or masonite to prepare it for painting.) That meant going to the hardware store for new buckets, then digging an mixing the gesso in the original container to be able to transfer it. After breakfast and coffee, packed the truck with the remaining items, and went to the warehouse where I gave pallet #2 another wrap of shrink wrap for good measure. Also packed and wrapped the gesso and a can of thinner so they will travel better than if they were exposed.



All that consumed most of the morning, so I didn't leave Portland until shortly before noon. Got to the garage in Mass. where the boat and trailer were, hitched them up and was at Jess's at 4:00. Lot of bounce from the boat in that 10 miles. Spent about an hour getting things out of the boat and back of truck, then repacking the back of the truck and the boat. All the spare tires are now inside the forward section of the boat, and it handles much better over the road than it did before. Weight is distributed better between truck and boat, and in the boat.



Before leaving Jess's, checked the weather, and found that I was going to be driving into the face of a storm. Because it is a storm that will be driven by coastal influences, I decided to get as far west as I could in hopes of missing it. Arrived here at 11:30 PM, and desk clerk says the snow is supposed to start in the early morning.



If it does, I'm not going to drive in it with a trailer in tow, and with a restaurant right next door, and internet access here at the Comfort Inn, and my Rosetta Stone Spanish course, I'll have no problem staying parked here until the storm passes and roads are clear again. And so it goes...

3 comments:

floydmonet said...

I'm trying to fix my Google account, Carl.

floydmonet said...

Carl- Hi again. Glad to hear you are underway and safe from storm that is nearing us. Remember the story I told you and Patti about our brother-in -law Steve and his experience after driving from Fl to KY. MAKE SURE TO STRETCH every time you stop driving,esp stretches for your back, shoulders, neck and head. If your back starts to tighten up and stretching doesn't help, lay down on the carpet in your motel room on a tennis ball on your back and find the sore spots and work them! Lots of love- Floydmonet

Zabeth69 said...

Muy bueno, amigo! felicitaciones por su viaje!

Maybe I'll see you in Central America...eventually!

Beth M