Tuesday, February 3, 2009

"Excess baggage"

Now that I think I have a solution to the weight issue, I lay awake early this morning worrying about the volume of stuff, with doubts it will all fit. Options are: 1) do another sort, and either get rid of or store the excess; 2) ship the excess to a warehouse in Brownsville, TX, and after making my first run to Belize, go back to Brownsville to get it; or 3) leave the excess here, take the first load to Brownsville, store it, then drive back to Maine to get the excess. Don't like any of the options, and there really isn't much that at this point I would truly call "excess", since I've already shed a lot of "stuff". It does bring to mind the fellow I met on the bus to Boston last February. We were both headed to Belize, he was a retired school administrator from California, and was planning to spend several months exploring Belize. He had a small knapsack, that was it. I had a carryon suitcase for my 1 week.

May have to go through my lists of what's packed (made for customs) and rethink what I should define as "excess"...

2 comments:

The Eclectic Cleric said...

Is any of this stuff that could be shipped with UPS, or one of the other international freight carriers? It CAN'T be that much more expensive than driving back and forth from Texas and/or Belize twice. Again, if i can be helpful in any way please let me know -- I may even be able to find some extra room in my storage locker...although it's jammed pretty tight as it is. We're all looking forward to hearing of your safe arrival, not horror stories of being broken down on the road because you overpacked. Of course, I grew up with stories of what folks left littered along the Oregon Trail on their way west, so maybe sometimes my imagination runs away with me.

Zabeth69 said...

Jenn has used an express company called Medrano Express, who will ship door-to-door to Central America, including Mexico...I can only assume Belize, too. You buy boxes from them and pack them yourself. I have had a brochure, but can't find a website that is not in Spanish. But she received her boxes in the time stated, delivered right to her door in Managua. Which is a far sight better than mail delivery does with packages to Managua!