Monday, February 2, 2009

Closing in on my departure

It’s been too long since I last posted here, but I expect it will be much more frequent now that my date of departure is close at hand. Multiple reasons for delays, including, but not limited to, the need to prepare my 17 year old truck for the trip. Had I known how much money I would end pouring into it, I probably would have opted to buy a more recent one. Latest issue has been one related to oil pressure, which has been erratic. Now appears the new oil pump is defective, and the crankshaft bearings are worn and scored, so also need to be replaced. I am electing to have a transmission fluid temperature gauge installed so I can monitor it, especially on long climbs. Can wreak havoc if it gets too hot and starts breaking down.

My packing is just about done. The biggest issue facing me now is whether it will all fit in the truck. It will be close, and if it doesn’t, I’ll have to take it out of the truck and prioritize. I sure hope it fits, I’ve already eliminated much of what I owned.

What will I do in Belize? For fun I hope to do a lot of sailing. Also want to learn to play piano, so I gave myself a keyboard for Christmas. I already have an electric base and a dobro that I also want to learn. In addition, I’ve purchased the materials and equipment needed to take up oil painting again. I last painted when a student at Colby College. Every time I go to a gallery I want to get back into it, so it’s now time to pursue that dream. I’m also bringing a lot of books I’ve purchased but haven’t read. Goal is to read them and pass them on to the local library that is yet to be established.

For work I have many enterprises in mind. I’ve already invested in one – a technology called magicJack. It’s a device that plugs into a computer, and then you plug a telephone into the device. The upshot is that I now have a Portland phone number, and anytime someone calls it they’ll either get my voice mail, or if I’m connected to high speed internet anywhere in the world, if the phone is connected to my computer, it will ring. I can in turn call any phone in the US or Canada for free. Will be a boon to American and Canadian expats in Belize, so I have become a reseller. Not a lot of margin, but it may help me make comnections and build a network.

I also am going to be a distributor of the Logix ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) system. It is a building technology that is especially appropriate for coastal Belize, both in terms of the reduction of cooling energy use and cost, and the resistance to hurricane force winds and debris.

Last summer I studied and took exams to become a Certified Professional Bookkeeper and a QuickBooks Pro-Advisor. Passed them all, so I hope to pick up some work doing bookkeeping as well. My stepson Bradley has also suggested I join him in his Century 21 Agency, so that also might happen. Also hope to do some wedding and other commercial photography, so am taking my equipment with me. Bottom line? Have to make sure I can support myself, but also need to give myself the time to pursue my music and painting goals!

That’s all for now, will start updating on a more regular basis!

1 comment:

Zabeth69 said...

My sympathies with your truck turmoil. Jenn runs an aging Toyota truck in Managua and seems to do okay. It is quite common in Central America to have very old vehicles...no rust problems, for one thing! But the upshot is that once you get down there, your mechanic probably can fix your older vehicle.

I love your music plans, and your painting and reading plans. Having painted and read in CA, I heartily approve...I didn't get onto the piano, as I need music to sight-read from, but I'm taking them lots of music when I go next trip.

Please let us know how your entrepreneurial efforts work out. Many of us are in similar boats. So to speak.

Beth