Monday, February 23, 2009

deja vu all over again






The photo here was taken when I headed off to RISD in the fall of 1966. I had transferred in, and because the school did not have student housing, my roommates and I rented an apartment in a gray neighborhood across town. 3rd floor, 5 rooms, $35/month. That's a gas stove in the truck - which supplied our heat. The truck was one I picked up for less than $100 - a former phone company truck, it had a chipped tooth in first gear and reverse. In time it had no gear in either, which made parking in Providence a real challenge! But I digress...

The truck is loaded, and I've finally worked out the transportation of the pallet. Because the truck was overloaded, I also had to unwrap the pallet and add another level to it. However, working with a trucking broker here in Maine, I am shipping it to a broker in Camden, Alabama. They then put it on a ship that will take it to Big Creek , Belize, which is just across rhe lagoon from Placencia! Total cost will be considerably less than if I had sent it to Brownsville, and then done a roundtrip through Mexico to get it, or if I had had it trucked through Mexico. So the delay helped me find the Big Creek option.

I'm thinking now that I will depart on Wednesday. Tomorrow I'll pack the odds and ends, do some cleaning, finsh loading the truck, and get the cash I need for the trip.

Will post a picture of my current old truck, with boat, and the snow I'll leave behind...

1 comment:

Zabeth69 said...

Carl,
I headed off to RISD in the fall (probably August, actually) of 1965. First-year women were required to live in the dorms (as were second-year), and I have not a clue what I took with me. When we finally escaped the dorms two years later (they tried to keep us in to balance the budget), we took a second floor, four-bedroom plus kitchen and living room (became the work room) apartment on Benefit Street for $140 a month. Walking Benefit Street (federal-era and newer house) to class was magical, imagining who might have lived there before (HP Lovecraft, Poe, the Browns) and navigating the undulating brick sidewalks. Providence College Hill has a lot to do with why I like Portland so much.
Beth M