Thursday, February 26, 2009

Day 2 - back in Portland

Called Michael at Northest Sailboat Rescue in Freeport this morning to get a price on a used trailer and his take on my situation. Used one would be $3000, and I would have to figure out how to get the boat and non-functional trailer back to Freeport. Then went to the yard where the boat/trailer were taken last night and talked with them about the repair options. Replacing the axle with a new one that had the same 2000 lb weight rating would cost $900, Moving up to one with a 3500 lb rating plus an additional rim and spare will run about $1200. So that's what I opted to do, and I'm told it will be ready by the end of the day tomorrow (Friday). Must say here that I was in a pretty vulnerable postion, but so far I feel that the guys at Interstate Wrecker Service in Canton, Mass, have been very reasonable with me.


When talking with Michael, he reminded me in evaluatinf the tires to include the weight of the trailer, estimated at 800 lbs. The boat weighs about 1800 lbs, so boat and trailer, but no gear, are 2600 lbs. Tires are rated at 1650 lbs each. Since I had put a lot of non-boat stuff in the boat for lack of room in the truck, I believe I was overweight for the trailer and the tires. So back to Portland.


Unloaded some of the truck and set up a second pallet to ship. Then went and got some big double wall panels of cardboard and corners so I can wrap the pallet tomorrow. Came back to Gleckler , emptied the truck of what is still in it, and repacked it. Tomorrow I'll wrap up the pallet, empty some of the overflow out of my cab and set it up better for the road, run some errands and go back to Mass. Start out from there on Saturday morning.


I'm glad I have a Sirius radio in the truck, because today I was listening to one channel that is nothing but old radio shows , or TV soundtracks from the fifties. Then listened to one that is nothing but cuts from comedy albums. Funny stuff that brightened the day.


So that was my day, the one word description would be "backwards"!

No comments: