Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Finally on way - sort of..



Finally departed Portland at 3:30 this afternoon, truck and boat a bit overloaded, but not so badly that it would cause steering problems. ( Photo above was taken last August with NO loading!) My plan was to go the 150 miles to my step daughter's home in Norfolk , Mass, figuring this would be a shakedown for the 3800 mile journey, and let me know if I was going to have handling or overheating problems. As I drove, I was wishing I had set up a second pallet so that I would not be carrying so much weight.

Bang! Shortly after turning south off 128 onto 95 toward Providence, the axle on the trailer broke. Fortunately it was on the right side, away from the streaming rush hour traffic. It happened just past an entrance, so I had to drag the broken trailer 100 feet or so to a point where there was a wide breakdown lane. Bummer.

Called AAA, but because it is a boat trailer and not a vehicle, they don't cover it. They called a local wrecker service, the first truck was too small, but we got it onto the second one they sent. They say their mechanic can fix it, so tomorrow AM I'll find out what the $ damage is.

Altough I did not plan for or expect this dilemma, it was only 10 miles from my step daughter's home, so I get a chance to spend time with her and family while the issue is resolved. I'm so glad it happened here instead of several states away, or in Mexico. So in spite of the calamity, I'm grateful.

And so it goes...

1 comment:

Val B said...

Carl,
Finally caught up to your blog.

Glad to hear that the shakedown cruise was as safely interrupted as possible. Glad there was no damage to you or the boat or truck. Imagine you had been holding your breath to see what the first mishap might be.

Hope the trailer was fixed quickly and you are on your way safely.