Friday, April 10, 2009

Yaaayyy!

Picked up my two pallets of "stuff" last Monday and brought them back to my two room abode. Since they completely filled the back of my truck, and I had already integrated a truckload into my space, I wondered how it was going to fit. Well, it has taken a few days, and there are a few things that I'll store in the construction container in the yard, but for the most part, I'm in, and almost completely nested. What's best of all at this moment is that among all the stuff I brought with me I included a spare wireless router I had, and a wireless signal booster I had purchased. Bradley's wireless router had been fried by a power surge, so today we setup the replacement, and then the booster, a necessary device in concrete construction. So I am writing this from my space at home - I now have internet at home, so can read the NYTimes, New Yorker, post to this blog, etc etc. After being without a convenient connection for a month, it is very nice to have it.

Zabeth69 noted in her comment to my last post that Easter week in Central America is beach week (if I recall her comment correctly). Here in Placencia, and perhaps Belize as a whole, it is a vacation that started yesterday (Thursday) afternoon, and will extend through Monday. This is not a religious culture as near as I can see, but it certainly is one that wants to party. Grocery stores are closed (except for the Chinese owned stores, like the "Everyday Market"), construction stopped on the road, and everyone is on break, even Bradley and I.

Another benefit of getting my pallets was getting other parts of my audio setup, including the audio cabinet and sub-woofer. So I now have much better sound quality, and my DVD collection so I can watch an occasional favorite movie. I've learned that the heat and humidity here will destroy CDs, and probably DVDs, so I've started listening to all my CDs, flagging the occasional one I don't want to convert to a MP3 format to store electronically. Then I'll start that process. It is interesting, and fun, listening to music I haven't heard in, in some cases, years. At this moment I'm listening to Deep Forest, which will be followed by Diana Krall.

Once I've finished nesting, I take some photos of my living space and post them. Posts will be much more frequent now!

1 comment:

floydmonet said...

Word has it you have been in contact with the orbiting space station with these added electronic devices. I may be one of the few who can visualize the interior of Chez Carl after retrieving the pallets- much streamlined after all that had been cached at Gleckler Rd. Must feel pretty swell to have comforts of home and stay au courant! Love- Floydmonet