Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ahhhh, February!

All month long I've been thinking about how wonderful February has been, especially when compared to February in Maine when we were sick of winter, and aware we had at least two more months of it.  February here started with seasonably low temperatures in the low 70s in early morning, with some overcast days mixed in with sunny days.  The sky has not been as spectacular as in past months, making those skies even more enjoyable.  Now, as we are in the last week of the month, I am enjoying sleeping on top of the bed again, with the ceiling fan going, and really appreciate the heat.  There was a wonderful thunderhead the other day, here are a couple of photos:


On another subject, I received a new low in customer service today, something that puts even Time Warner cable to shame.    I signed up for cable in January, paying a pro-rated amount, which started on the day I signed up, not the day they actually strung the wires and connected me.  I signed up to get my bills by e-mail.  I don't get all the channels, which they want to blame on me, although I was getting them all when I was at Bradley's house.  But today took the cake.
I had been enjoying the Olympics, but last Friday night I had no cable.  Yesterday I stopped at the cable office to find out what the problem was, and was told to call the office across the lagoon in Mango Creek.  No conversation in our Placencia office is easy, because the girl who works there sits in a low chair while responding to your questions, while you talk through  a hole in the glass barrier that is at mouth level for someone 5 feet tall.  I called Mango Creek and they said to go into the Placencia office and pay my January bill.  They said the office was open until 5. At 4:30 it was closed. 
Today on the way to work I stopped and learned that they had turned off my cable for lack of payment for January, although I have never received a bill, don't know what the amount should be, and don't know what I paid for initially.  So I had to pay $40.70 for January, plus a $25 reconnection fee.  When I suggested that they had a responsibility to provide me with a bill, or notice of their intention to disconnect, I was met with a blank stare.  Of course the manager of the company was not available at the Mango Creek office today, but I'll call her tomorrow. 
I really shouldn't be surprised because customer service in Belize is not part of the DNA.  But Southern Cable  Company, which is reselling a satellite based service, has taken the concept to a new low.  I've been taking advantage of the lack of TV by listening to the blues channel on Sirius radio, and spending more time reading. But I have missed the olympics...

17 comments:

floydmonet said...

Hey Carl- You are absolutely right about our Feb weather which has been getting nastier by the day (at least I wont have to shovel the rain)
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the cable tv hookups and reception and their negligence. I remember similar kinds of lousy service while living on Water Island off St Thomas.

Hope things improve with payment of the bills they never sent you.
Lots of love, ever your friend,
David Little

floydmonet said...

To those dear friends of Carl's- I have sad, sad, news. Carl Laws was in a motorcycle accident yesterday in Placencia, a very serious one, was medivaced to Belize City last night and passed away from complications in surgery. I just got the call from Patti's daughter Kevan and was told I could let the faithful followers of his blog know of this tragedy.
If you want more news about what happened- as I find out- I can let you know-
Thanks
David Little
dlittle75@earthlink.net
207-772-6418

greenmama! said...

I was not a personal friend of Carl's, but I did love reading his blog. I appreciated his kindness, his adventuresness, and his exuberant spirit. He will be missed!

My condolences to you on your loss.

Marjorie

Unknown said...

Rest in peace, Carl.
Mary

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

My name is Patti. I was with Carl in the hospital and want all of you to know, I believe because Carl only experienced the best of his new home, that perhaps it was his time to leave us.

Carl left Portland a year ago on Feb. 25. He left with a truck and boat brimming over with anticipation, dreams, excitement and daring.

Belize was Carl's "place in the sun". But being Carl, unselfish to the core, he spread his human kindness to everyone he met. As, he would say, "It is just my nature."
God speed to your next adventure.

Keith G said...

Carl L, rest in peace - you will be missed by your friends back here in Portland. You followed your dreams, living each day to its fullest, showing others the way.

changosgal said...

I just found Carl's blog last night and started reading it from the beginning. I was planning on contacting Carl when I finished reading. He wrote a wonderful blog of his adventures. To all of his friends and family my heart felt condolences. Thank you Carl for sharing your story. RIP

Me said...

I am Carl's niece, Sara. It was a shock to hear the tragic news and he will be missed. I am so thankful for the trip I took to Portland in 2001 and I stayed with him and we shared some one-on-one time together and he introduced me to a lot of great music. Love you Uncle Carl and admire your bravery to pick up and move to a distant place.

mattmc13 said...

Rest in Peace Carl. You will be missed by all of your BNI friends in Portland.

Lorethian said...

My wife and I had a chance to have dinner with Carl this past January while we were in Belize. We have both lived through his blog as we consider how we might move to Belize. My heart is very heavy today having heard of his passing and frankly leaves me a little loss. I will miss him.

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful blog. My brother Carl spent time updating it and we all learned a lot about his new life. He was always upbeat. There will be a Memorial Service for Carl at the First Parish Church in Portland, ME on May 12 at 2 p.m. If you'd like to give a memorial gift, please direct it either to the Rotary Club in Belize or the First Parish Church in Portland. Both of these organizations were very important to him. There are addresses in his obituary that you will find online. We miss him very much. It is so hard to believe I will never see him again in this life. I loved him very much. My brother was three years younger.

tacogirl said...

Great Sky shot - love cloud watching here.

alana said...

Happy Father's Day Carl. You are loved and missed greatly. I will always continue to see your spirit in so many gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. Love, Alana

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CowLicked said...

When are you going to post some more about this fabulous place... Its cold here and I need warm thoughts of Belize

Dr.Irma Gavaldon said...

your child is extra nervous about going to the dentist bring them along to one of your appointments. I've seen this work wonders with my own patients because the kids get to see what's going on, not guess from the chair. Plus they can ask questions and meet the hygienist and dentist beforehand.
cancun dentist