Saturday, January 9, 2010

Tropical Cold Wave!

From the Weather Channel, it looks like the US, Canada and Europe are suffering through some brutal winter weather, with trains stuck in snow, turmoil in the air transportation system, and frozen oranges in Florida.


Well, I find I have adjusted so well to normal day time temperatures in the mid 80s, that our current cool temperatures are frigid! The low temperatures of the day in the early morning hours dip down to the high 60s or low 70s. I put a thermometer out on the veranda at 7 this morning and it read 71 degrees! The inside temperature was 74 degrees. When I think back to last year, when shortly before my departure we were heating our house to a standard 65 degrees, when we turned up the thermostat, it’s hard to imagine living in temperatures that cold.

For months I slept on top of my bed, with overhead and pedestal fans cooling me. Lately I had been sleeping with a sheet over me, no fans. Lately was waking up repeatedly at night, couldn’t understand why, until I put a blanket on, and voila! a good night’s sleep. Have been wearing long pants (LL Bean Tropic Wear) voluntarily for much of the past week. Not yet ready to cave in to shoes, but have been wearing my sandals all day instead of taking them off, because they provide a little warmth. As I write this in mid-day, I’m wearing blue jeans, a tee shirt and I’m barefoot. It’s a cool 78 inside, and 76 outside.

So that’s the winter weather from Belize. Overcast with occasional showers, light winds from the west and north, and a Tropical Cold Wave!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi Carl - My name is Jamie and I have read your entire blog content and just wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading about your adventures in Belize (and getting to Belize from the US). My partner and I are considering relocating to Belize in the next several years - probably in the Stann Creek District, so I appreciate when you write about the weather and the services. My college degree is in Cultural Anthropology, so I really appreciate your posts about the folks in Belize. Thank you so much for taking the time to post about the rituals and heritage of the various ethnic groups. How wonderfully diverse Belize sounds! I am very grateful to have found your blog! I look forward to many more exciting adventures. Congratulations on your new house. Oh, if I may ask, you posted earlier about your concerns about meeting your spiritual needs in Belize. You have not yet again posted about that and if your needs are being met there. If you care to comment, I would be interested in your response. Anyway, thanks again and best wishes!

sandy a said...

Hi Carl! I am reading thru your blog and find it very entertaining! My husband and I have owned property in Maya Beach for a number of years and are finally building a house there (should be done in Spring).
You look vaguely familiar...maybe I've seen you "around"?
Anyways, if I see you out, I'll introduce myself, or if you see me, holler--I'm a tall chick with a BUNCH of tattoos.
Sandy