Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Responses to comments..

I receive the comments people post on this blog as e-mails, but if they are not sent to me directly by the senders, I can’t reply, except through the blog. That’s what I’m doing here, in part because the responses to the comments or questions will probably be of interest to other readers as well. I should note that I am truly impressed with those that have written and said they have read the entire blog – perhaps I should say honored, because that’s a lot of reading and I am glad it has been interesting enough to read through.

Yesterday I posted detailed information I had gathered about bus transportation from Cancun to Belize. Gary from British Columbia is coming to Belize via Cancun, but I thought the information could be helpful to others as well.

A while back Val wrote, if I can paraphrase, that it must be difficult living in an environment surrounded by poverty. I think poverty can be expressed as a relative state of existence as well as a state of mind, and third world poverty is not as jarring as first world poverty. In Portland, Maine, a fairly affluent city where I moved from, there was a significant homeless population, some of whom spent the night in shelters in the city, and others who camped out in the woods where they could hide or find privacy. We would most often cross paths at the supermarket, where they would bring bottles to return for cash. People here in Belize don’t freeze to death, and I’m not aware of a homeless population, but on the other hand, there is a dramatic discrepancy in the housing stock. I give rides to guys who pick up bottles for cash, and take them home.


If the ex-pats weren’t here, building homes and businesses, there would be less work available, and less money to purchase necessities in this country with a minimal manufacturing base. At least here on the Placencia Peninsula, I don’t sense resentment as much as a sense of acceptance that that is the way things are. Seine Bight is a village where there is a poverty of existence, but not of mind. I used to live on the edge of it, and when I picked up residents who did not know me, they would sometimes ask me if I was from Maya Beach. Maya Beach is an area that was subdivided many years ago, with canals dug, roads built, land filled. Then the developer failed, but what was left was a pattern of land use and ownership dominated by small resorts on the ocean side and ex-pat homes on the lagoon side. There is not an historical Creole, Garifuna or Mestizo village. Now that I live in Maya Beach, at least for the time being, I am a bit embarrassed to admit to those who ask that I do live here. The best strategies for intellectually and/or emotionally dealing with the pervasive poverty of existence are either to build businesses that can then employ locals, or to mentor kids in school and help them learn to read. The educational system teaches people to be employees, and there is not the entrepreneurial dna, or ambition, that exists in the US or Canada. Belizeans who have that dna have moved to the US.


Yesterday I took the fabric I bought in Belize City to a woman in Seine Bight who does sewing. She was an older woman, and her son and granddaughter and a grandson were there, and I’m not sure how many lived in the house, which had no windows, but did have shutters. My focus was on explaining the way I wanted my curtains made, and not on assessing the condition of the house, but it was standard I don’t think I could live at. They did have a TV. What is most important to this discussion is that it was fairly typical housing in the community, although there are homes that are better and worse in the mix. This is because within each ethnic group there are folks at all socio-economic levels. Proportions vary by group, and resentments, or envy, may be directed more toward those higher on the economic ladder than on those of a particular ethnic group. I say “may”, because I don’t see or hear it. People who don’t accept and value people for who they are, and treat others with kindness, don’t get along. But where isn’t that true?

A following question from Bob related to the availability of rental housing such as the place I’m living in. Right now, it would be hard to find places like mine, especially from a distance. When I walk down the beach, I see second homes that are not occupied, and wonder if the owners would rent if they had a local agent who could market and oversee the property. This may change as condominiums get built, and investors seek a return through rentals. The problem will be dealing with the desire of the owners to get maximum short term return with weekly rentals, or if they would be satisfied with longer, more modest return from a single tenant. Before I arranged my current rental, which is a house our company built, which costs me $400 USD per month, I had tentatively been offered a condo for the same price. The deal fell through when they were offered $1200 USD /month for the same place. I’m glad it fell through, because I like my new setup. There are many smaller cabanas and units available for rent, but second homes are rare. You can find lots of accommodations on the Placencia Tourism office website.

Sandy and her husband are building a house here in Maya Beach, but I haven’t noticed any tattooed ladies at the little market. I have a big mustache, so perhaps we will connect! I shop at the new Chinese mini-mart.

Jamie expressed appreciation for the cultural anthropological bent of some of my postings, which I appreciate. It’s one of the elements about Belize that I really like. I have a step-daughter who graduated from U Penn with a degree in Cultural Anthropology, so it is a subject close to my heart, as she is. I should also not that I work for my step-son (from a different marriage), who graduated from UNH with a double major in outdoor recreation and cultural anthropology. His thesis project was a proposal to create an eco-tourism business in Belize. After graduation he came here to see if he could do it. That didn’t work out, but he now employs 19 Belizeans plus me in two enterprises, and that number will grow. I was very fortunate because I knew what skill Bradley needed (as well as the larger community), and I reinvented myself with that skill before coming here. Belize is an entrepreneurs playground – but it is best to be here for a while to determine what skill, service or product is needed in sufficient quantity to generate a living. Cost of living here is less than in the states or provinces, in part because there aren’t many places to spend money. I recall someone asking if they could live on $2000 USD/month. That would work if they had a moderately priced rent. I’m living on a little more than half that.


A final question related to my ability to maintain my spiritual side. In Portland, an urban environment, I met my spiritual needs through my involvement with my local Unitarian-Universalist Church (www.firstparishportland.org) , and through a 22 year membership in my Double Dozen group of AA. There isn’t a church here with a theology anything like mine, and while the AA here isn’t as spiritually sustaining as my old group, it does in a pinch. I do have things I read, particularly the sermons of the inspired late minister of my church in Portland, which he posted on line. Spending a few minutes on the veranda morning and evening looking out over the lagoon at sunrise and sunset are certainly good for my soul. I’m grateful to be in the environment I’m in.

5 comments:

sandy a said...

Hey Carl
I know that house you're living in! Carlos and Bernabe were staying in it for a while.
We'll be there next week. I'm sure we'll see you around.
S

Carl said...

Hi Sandy,

You got it! Carlos is our foreman, and he and Bernabe were more camping out than living in the house, which at that time lacked fixtures, a stove etc. You must be close by - stop by sometime!

Carl

Anonymous said...

Hello Carl,
My name is Charles. I just came across your blog yesterday. I think it is fantastic. For me, it is as absorbing as a Grisham novel.
For some time I have been thinking about "starting anew" somewhere. My first big interest was Mexico, and I checked out a few places, but did not find anyplace that was a fit for me. So Belize is next. I am coming for a visit to the Corozal area in late February, so the travel information you blogged will be extremely useful. I am hooked up with an outfit called International Living, you've probably heard of them. My strong impression is that they basically try to push foreign real estate, using an expat angle. It was from their website that I first got interested in Mexico. But my personal experience, at least with the places I checked out, that they hyped a lot, was that they focused on only the positives of any given place, and pretty much totally ignored the less than positive things. But, it is a "buyer beware" world in my opinion, so their "approach" is to be expected I suppose. That was a couple years ago, and with all that has been going on in Mexico, the drug violence and the ransom kidnappings, they no longer push Mexico at all. The mainstream US media, subtly, tends to portray Mexico as on the brink of anarchy and collapse. My personal opinion is that they preferred the more left wing guy that lost the last presidential election, so they take every opportunity to indicate that the current leadership is basically failing. On a similar note, relating to the Honduras political unrest, and maybe you know this already, but you would have very been hard pressed to have gotten the same factual explanation of what occurred there, anywhere in the mainstream US media, as the one you provided. They called it, and continue to call it, a military coup, and report nothing about how the guy was trying to keep himself in power, and so on. NPR unfortunately has done exactly the same. I found out the facts on BBC world news. My opinion on why it was reported that way here in the US is that it is basically in line with the disdain that both major political parties have for the voters - they pretty much take care of their big bucks interest groups, and to hell with everybody else. That's why we are seemingly lurching to the right, then to the left, now it appears back to the right again (as evidenced by a conservative republican winning the US senate seat in Massachussets this past week - did you ever imagine that would happen?), because the country is in a mess in a lot of ways, and it seems that all we get out of Washington, no matter who is in power, is partisan bickering and gridlock.
I have so many questions I'd like to ask you, basically related to day to day life issues of living in Belize. I haven't said anything about myself demographically or personally, but what I will say is that our backgrounds and life experiences (based on what you have blogged), are extremely similar. I think that's why your blog really connects with me. But, I don't want to impose on you with a whole bunch of questions, as you have really not portrayed yourself in the blog as any sort of "answer man". So I guess I want to get your feedback beforehand as to how open you are to becoming something of an "answer man", and if you are, what could I do in return to keep the books even. I try to never ask for something unless I am willing to peform in kind.
Sorry for the VERY long comment. You can reach me at chuckejames@yahoo.com.

Jamie said...

Hi Carl -

It's Jamie. Thank you so much for your response to my comments and inquiries. I really appreciate it.

I am almost done with "Home Cooking in the Global Village". What a great book! I am learning a great deal about the history and culture of Belize from Prof. Welk's delightfully written and very enjoyable book. Thank you for mentioning it in the blog.

I am glad that you are enjoying the anthropological aspects of your adventures in Belize. I believe that I will enjoy this as well. I am very excited about the opportunity to be able to explore the other aspects of anthropology -archeology, linguistics, physical anthro. whilst in Belize.

And I was quite touched by your delight in not only your day to day experiences but also in those magical moments of soul-stirring beauty that are also part of your daily life in Belize.

Thank you for all your wonderful posts.

Mike said...

Thank you for your post. The blogs seem to be the best actual research on making a move over seas. Most websites are set up for the expats to make a living so are slanted to help them meet their needs. I am currently looking at Costa Rica and Belize as possible future homes. Once the kids are grown and off to college that is. I am attracted to the Corozal area because of less rain (I live in the other Portland so that impacts my thinking).I share the same 12 step program (24 years one day at a time) and that is my biggest concern in making a move like this. How does one find meetings, are they regular, are there many of our kind in Belize? Look forward to hear from you.

Mike