Friday, November 20, 2009

my next abode and Garifuna Settlement Day

Found some pictures of the house I'll be renting starting next month.  Here are three views of the exterior.  This one is the south side..

This next is from the west..


And finally the north side...


There is one room, with a bath, on the lower level, but the real living space is on the second floor.  Large room with a kitchen area defined in part with an island, and a bedroom off that.  Verandas north and south. When I move in I'll take photos of the interior.  Truck can be parked undercover on the lower level, keeping it cooler than being in the sun.  For now I have to focus on getting furniture since it is unfurnished.  I was going to have to get some anyway, so now is as good a time as any.  I'm really quite excited!

Yesterday was a national holiday here in Belize, Garifuna Settlement Day.  Nov 19th has been recognized as the day Garifuna people stepped ashore to settle on the Belize coast 186 years ago.  They came in canoes from Honduras.  While the Garifuna represent only about 8% of the population, their cultural influence is much greater.  A musician named Andy Pallacio made a CD called Watima a few years ago that hit the top of the World Music charts.  Excellent music for anyone who likes African music.  Unfortunately, he died soon after making it, but if you like it, try to get: "Umalali-The Garifuna Women's Project" .  Also produced by Stonetree Records here in Belize.
I didn't go to Dangriga or Belize City for the festivities, but one of the TV stations was there, and I took pictures of what they broadcast.  So thousands of words in the form of pictures follow (I hope). Enjoy!




A drum band and majorettes that stood in place and played and moved...



Well , the photo function is working, tomorrow I'll post some more, it's 11 pm, so time for bed.

5 comments:

Jerr Dunlap said...

Thanks for your observations of Garifuna culture - There was an article on National Public Radio last week about Garifuna organizing for the census, in preparation for being recognized as a culture, by the U.S. government. Fascinating history. I'm looking forward to following your blog!
- Jerr

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/ said...

Good blog.
Portugal

Unknown said...

I have a question if you would mind answering. What is the cost of renting a place like you are if you don't have family building them?

Zabeth69 said...

What a great house!

Looking forward to seeing the inside...

Beth M

Mr Abdullah Ibrahim said...

I am Kok Cheong from Singapore, if you need loan then I'll advise you can contact whatspp Number abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com whatspp Number +918929490461 Mr Abdullah Ibrahim Mr Abdullah Ibrahim because I just got a loan form them now.