Sunday, November 22, 2009

I have a few photos and more information to accompany my post about transportation a few days ago..Here's a picture I took one day as I was driving into Placencia Village.  If there had been another car approaching I would not have the camera in one hand as I drove. Pedestrians will move to the side for the most part, dogs will look at you while they decide which side to go to,

and you can see the street is not terribly wide.

These next pictures were taken at the "temporary" bridge over Kendall Stream.  I had my good camera with me on this trip to Gangriga, so stopped and took the following:



Here's a dump truck crossing it.  The flatbed combo unit in the background is parked - the drivers of that one and another that you can't see in the photo are bathing in the stream just downstream of the bridge on the far side.



Yes, Crude Oil.  There is an oil well in Spanish Lookout, and the crude is trucked to the port at Big Creek and loaded onto tankers, which I assume go to the U.S. The trucks are the best trucks on the road here in Belize. I'm not sure how many there are per day, but they go over two temporary bridges. 


This is a picture looking downstream from the bridge.  Frequently I'll see Mayan women from a nearby village doing laundry along the shore.

An update about ground travel from Cancun, which is a cheap place to fly into:

Coming to Belize, best to take the 11PM bus from Cancun to Chetumal, arriving there at about 4 AM.  From there take a bus to Belize city.  If you take the express it will be a more comfortable bus, but also will probably have a high percentage of tourists, meaning a prolonged experience going through immigration, but the comfort may be worth it.  Or, you can take the "chicken bus" sans chickens, which will get through quicker but make lots of stops en route.  In Belize City take a taxi to the other bus station to get a bus to Dangriga.  From there take a "chicken bus" to Placencia, or an express or "chicken bus" to Mango Creek/Independence, and then the Hokey Pokey water taxi across the lagoon.  You'll get here in mid-afternoon.  If you need more details, drop me a line...

Well, that's it for now.  If anyone following this has things they would like me to write about that would be of general interest, please let me know!
be well...

1 comment:

Mr Abdullah Ibrahim said...

I am Kok Cheong from Singapore, if you need loan then I'll advise you can contact whatspp Number abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com whatspp Number +918929490461 Mr Abdullah Ibrahim Mr Abdullah Ibrahim because I just got a loan form them now.