Monday, December 7, 2009

Moving in 6 days!

I suppose most people in cultures that celebrate festivals of one sort or another at this time of year are quite busy at this point, and I am no exception, but for a different reason.  I've been living in my ex-wife's apartment, and she committed last week to coming to Belize a week from tomorrow, or on Tuesday, December 15th.  That means I have to move to my new abode, which at this point has no lights, fans or appliances.  So I spent two days last weekend going to the major (for Belize) towns of Belmopan, Orange Walk and Belize City getting fixtures, furniture and appliances.   Had to get a two burner counter top stove because the really wonderful stove the owner has ordered won't be here for 4 to 6 weeks.  That means I can't do my Christmas baking, unless I am offered a kitchen elsewhere.

I have been very busy packing up and moving stuff every day.  The first two loads were primarily containers I had not unpacked because there was not enough room in the apartment.  Now I have to really pack.  Also have to prepare multiple govt reports which are due early next week, because i'll be moving over the weekend.

Not sure how often I'll be able to post in this process, but wanted to note how peculiar it is for this northern New Englander to be celebrating Christmas in a tropical climate.  Christmas and snow related music like Jingle Bells,  gold snowflakes hanging in the bank, and other elements of Christmas just don't seem to fit.  Belize City was full of it, but Placencia,  which is a very laid back place, has it on a very subdued level.

Time to pack.  Will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are heading down on the 17th for a month. If you need any help, just call Lary Beya and ask how you can get in touch with Karen and Babe.