Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Big shift in weather!

One of the reasons I moved to Belize was because I was tired of being cold. Never thought that would happen, always thought I needed 4 distinct seasons, but have learned that not only can I get along without New England weather, but can enjoy the subtle changes that take place in a tropical climate. I arrived here last March, having stopped outside Mobile, Alabama, to ship my winter coat back to Maine.
The average daily temperature here seems to be about 85 degrees Farenheit, or about 29 Celsius. In direct sun it is hotter, so you see more folks with umbrellas (even on bicycles!) using them to provide shade than you see them for rain. One of the delights about being on the coast is that there is usually a breeze, which provides a cooling effect. If you don't have that breeze, ever-prsesent ceiling fans and pedestal fans do the trick. Or you turn on the AC.
I expected substantially higher temperatures in the summer months, but it didn't really happen. We had more days when the temperature would creep up to 89 or 90, causing even the locals to comment about the heat, but summer brings the rain. So rainstorms during the day or night cools the air, although when the sun comes out again the humidity rises.
So what has been the "lifestyle effect" of this weather? I always wear shorts. I always wear sandals, unless I'm barefoot, which I am, most of the time. I wear shirts designed to be cool in hot temps. I drink lots of cold fruit based beverages.
And then yesterday it changed. A front passed through, the wind came from the west, from the Maya Mountains. The temperature plunged to 74 F, 23C. Today I had a dentist appointment in Dangriga, and I wore long pants, a first. It has been overcast now for two days, with occasional drizzle. I slept under a sheet last night, instead on top of the bed. 74 feels cool! I guess my blood is getting thinner, which is OK by me.
I saw the highlights of the Patriots game on Sunday, when they frolicked in the snow, and saw that nighttime temps are in the low 30s in Portland. After being here for seven months, I don't think I could face going into a Maine winter, with cold lasting for eight months, especially after suffering through a cold wet start to summer as my many friends in Portland did.
So I don't complain about the heat here; I enjoy it, adapt to it, and stay sensitive to the changes that take place, although they are considerably less dramatic than they were for the first six plus decades of my life.
Be well, my friends, stay warm.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Sounds like the life. I too think I could live without 4 seasons. Do not like the winter anymore. Been following your blog and trying to catch up on the archives. Enjoy hearing about your transition; one I hope my wife and I can someday do as well. Can't believe you now consider 74 cool. I am longing for 74 degrees again just to feel alive.