Thursday, June 4, 2009

earthquake III

Kaboom! I think I levitated a foot off the bed, realizing at the height of levitation that it was not another earthquake, but was a close and massive clap of thunder. Looked at the clock, and it was 11:30. It seemed as though the lightning and thunder continued throughout the night, with lightning jumping from cloud to cloud and filling the sky. Rain finally came at 5:30 or so, and lasted for a few hours. Even the night sky is wonderful, either clear and full of stars, or when there are broken clouds back lit by the moon. Working on developing an ability to photograph the wonder of that sky.
People still talk about the quake - and in Placencia Village the water problems continue. Some time ago I posted pictures of Placencia's sidewalk "street". It is amazing to see breaks in the sidewalk with two parts an inch or more apart, or T joints that now have a substantial gap where there was none before. Apparently in the village of Monkey River, just south of us, which sustained the most damage in Belize due to homes on posts sinking into the ground, the saturated ground turned liquid, and water and mud boiled out of the ground. It must have been frightening for those folks - seeing it by flashlight at 2:30 in the morning.
On other subjects...
I don't think I've ever mentioned how polite folks are here. You are known by your first name - so I'm Mr. Carl. Since I live on the outskirts of the village of Seine Bight, about 7 or 8 miles north of Placencia Village, I usually give rides to folks standing beside the road wanting a ride in either direction. Because I have a cap on the truck, and it is very dirty (from the dust) and very hot under the cap, I let people ride up front with me. They are always appreciative - tonight an old man I gave a ride to would not stop talking, and what I could understand of his creole was that if I ever had any problem he would be there for me. From my perspective, not quite sure what he could do, but a nice sentiment. When I have to move from my present circumstances, I'll probably be living in Seine Bight, so for my own personal security it will probably be helpful to have a cadre of folks I've given rides to looking out for my well being. Bradley routinely gives rides, and is known and well liked by everyone I pick up.

( I originally had comments here about my work, but have removed them to avoid disclosure issues locally. Send me an email if you are interested in my work.)

Well, time to stop writing here and get on with other interests!

1 comment:

Zabeth69 said...

Rain, rain, go away...

Found a guy with a neat website...he's a photog in Belize and Mexico etc... I suppose you could say he's a colleague of mine, as he provided the panoramas for a site that I maintain. At any rate, here is his site: www.esotericvision.com